1098-T Tax Form

Most international students are not eligible to claim education tax credits with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. International students who may be eligible are:

  • permanent residents
  • married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • those who may be claimed as a dependent by a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • those who have been in the U.S. long enough to file federal income tax returns as a resident

For more information about eligibility, see IRS Publication 970. USC cannot provide tax advice. For additional information, contact your tax adviser or the IRS.

How Do International Students Request a 1098-T Tax Form?

Log in to MyUSC and select OASIS under the “Other Services” tab. Select “Add SSN/ITIN” to report your Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer ID number (ITIN) no later than December 31 of the tax year. Once your SSN/ITIN is added, you will receive a 1098-T for every future year in which you have qualified transactions.

How Do I Get an SSN or ITIN?

Visit the Office of International Services website for more information.

TL11A Canadian Tax Form

To request a Canadian TL11A tax form, complete the TL11A electronic request. The tax form will be emailed to the student’s official USC email address within 5-7 business days.